One-Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff
Beef Stroganoff Tips
Beef: This recipe can be slightly tweaked based on the ingredients you have on hand. I find ground beef gives the best flavor but you can certainly substitute another type of ground meat such as ground turkey or pork. If using something other than beef, you’ll likely want to add some extra beef bouillon for a richer flavor! I highly suggest using the condensed beef broth in a can (instead of the box) for the best flavor!
Mushrooms: Of course fresh mushrooms are best and while this recipe calls for white mushrooms, I’ve used a combination of white, cremini or portobello all with great results. In a pinch, you can use canned mushrooms as well.
- Keep in mind that sour cream may curdle if it boils so the sauce is thickened and removed from the heat before it is added.
- No sour cream? Greek yogurt is a good substitute (or if you just prefer it).
- To Thicken Sauce: You can add a little bit of extra cornstarch slurry to reach desired consistency. Mix equal parts cornstarch and cold water and pour a little bit at a time while stirring sauce.
Flavor Boosters: We love this stroganoff exactly as written but if you’d like to spice it up a bit, add one of the following:
- Stir in a teaspoon or so of dijon mustard
- Add a sprig or two of fresh thyme (or 1/4 teaspoon of dried)
- Add a couple of slices of chopped raw bacon along with the onion & beef
- Add a small dash of smoked paprika and a dash of hot sauce
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3/4 pound fresh mushrooms sliced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
Brown ground beef, onion and garlic (trying not to break it up too much) in a pan until no pink remains. Drain fat.
Add sliced mushrooms and cook 2-3 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 1 more minute.
Add broth, Worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer on low 10 minutes. Cook egg noodles according to package directions.
Remove beef mixture from the heat, stir in sour cream and parsley.
Serve over egg noodles.